There have been enough of them, and many of them not-so-well-done, that I think best practices are starting emerge for doing demos of gear.
- Get straight to hearing what the product can do (no extended speech at the beginning running through tech specs) — with the exception of hearing the clean sound for a second, if demoing a dirt pedal
- Don’t talk! Just captions on the screen explaining what’s going on.
- Show the settings, but not necessarily the pedal itself. We still want to see the guitar and fingers.
- And of course, give us the range.
- (and hey, a sense of humor is always fun. Especially — don’t take yourself too seriously. Don’t over-hype.)
Here are a couple I was just watching: Psionic Audio Telos and Blackout Effectors Mantra. I loved the visual treatment of the latter, particularly. Very well-executed.